At Bedful (part of Tripadee group) we want to help people plan and book a great camping and glamping holiday. We run a set of successful websites which offer unbiased reviews and the chance to book some of the most interesting places to stay in the UK. We’re building a better booking system just for camping & glamping with a stable of successful websites with millions of visitors every year including cool camping, one of the most popular camping websites in the UK.
Where you’ll be working
Initially, due to the coronavirus, you’ll be working remotely for at least the next 6 months.
When we return to the office, you’ll be working at the heart of dynamic Shoreditch area of London, where many of the city’s most interesting startups are based. Our office is on Rivington Street not far from the Old St station. The role is a permanent position usually based in the office with some remote working, however at present and for the next 6 months at least you’ll be working remotely.
What you’ll be working on
We are constantly improving our central booking system – Bedful, along with our booking sites cool camping, glampingly, cool places and others so you’ll be working on exciting new features which our partners and their guests request, for both the backend and the front end of the websites.
We run a set of around 20 services and 5 public facing websites, and deploy changes to production almost every day. Our code is stored in git of course, we use a bit of testing, but not too much, and our tech stack is the following:
- Most of our code is written in Go from Google – we’ve been using Go for a few years now and love working with it
- We use postgresql and influxdb for storing data, and grafana for monitoring
- We host our websites on Digital Ocean, and our developers own the whole stack from local development through to deployment, deploying multiple times a week
- We host our services on CoreOS
What you’ll learn
You’ll be learning on the job, and will be able to learn about:
- Writing robust Go services
- Federated services talking to an API
- Linux administration on the command line
- Automated and repeatable deployment to clusters of servers using CoreOS
- Engineering a large code base for stability and speed of development
- You’ll learn how to write performant SQL queries
- Unit and integration testing
- Profiling and improving the performance of Go code
- You must be UK resident with permission to work in the UK, unfortunately we can’t sponsor Visa applications or relocation
- Above all, a desire to learn
- At least 1 year’s experience of software engineering or training with a recognised course
- A basic knowledge of SQL
- A basic knowledge of the web – HTML, CSS
- Some knowledge of basic programming principles – encapsulation, data structures
Nice to have
- A project of your own you’d like to talk about (can be small, doesn’t have to be software)
- Experience with Go
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or other web frameworks
- Experience with SQL – specifically Postgresql
- Some experience of the Linux command line
What makes us special
We’re not just another tech/travel company, we have a diverse and friendly team and welcome people of all backgrounds to our friendly office in central London. We like camping and travel, but you don’t have to be a travel enthusiast to work with us. Sounds like something you’d like to be part of? Please get in touch if it does at firstname.lastname@example.org.