£80k - £110k • Company Website https://bezos.ai
Head of Engineering
We are seeking a hands-on Head of Engineering for our well funded e-commerce fulfillment startup
At Bezos, our vision is to Deliver Happiness: For our team, for the end consumers, for our e-commerce sellers as well as our logistics partners.
Exciting times in e-commerce: E-commerce sales in Europe is projected to be £406 billion by 2023, expected to grow 8% per year between 2018-2023. The growth is driven by consumers that increasingly buy more online as well as the emergence of small and medium e-commerce sellers, which have grown at 18% and 28% per year, respectively between 2009-2017. There are 200,000 small and medium e-commerce sellers in the UK alone, selling their products through multiple channels, including marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay, their own websites, and on social media like Facebook and Instagram. Today, these small and medium sellers are ignored by the large incumbent logistics service providers and we are on a mission to change that.
Building a next generation Fulfillment-as-a-Service platform: With this explosive growth in e-commerce, the demand for e-commerce fulfilment and delivery is booming. Bezos is a next generation Fulfillment-as-a-Service (FaaS) platform, that allows small and medium e-commerce sellers to outsource their storage, fulfilment, delivery, and returns and focus on what is more important: growing their businesses. Bezos’ operational model is based on partnering with certified logistics suppliers that will execute the different services on our behalf. We believe there is a massive market opportunity to serve these currently unattended and fast growing small and medium e-commerce sellers. We believe that the e-commerce logistics landscape will give place to significant disruption opportunities, and we are planning on taking a leading role to achieve them.
Two founders with proven track records: The founding team consists of Diego Lijtmaer and Vernon Tjon-Soei-Len, who are two seasoned technology executives with experience in e-commerce, the gig economy and last mile delivery industry. Diego built the business development and logistics functions at Just Eat Plc (food delivery, FTSE 100), founded and ran a hospitality business Bacanal and worked in investment banking at UBS (LinkedIn profile here). Vernon was the Director of Amazon Flex UK (part of Amazon’s Last Mile Product & Technology team) and part of the Senior Leadership Team of Amazon Logistics UK, and prior to that worked at Zipcar, Bain & Company and JPMorgan (LinkedIn profile here).
We are looking for an exceptional technology leader: Someone that gets excited about the adventure of a startup and wants to build a world class billion dollar business. Someone that enjoys transforming industries, that enjoys changing the way businesses and consumers think about delivering and receiving e-commerce orders. Someone that is hands on, solves problems, and gets their hands dirty in the execution. Someone that has a demonstrated track record of building amazing technology and building and leading high performance tech teams.
- Build Bezos’ Fulfillment-as-a-Service platform
- Lead technology strategy, develop the technical solution, the architecture, the integration with other processes and systems and develop the Artificial Intelligence engine that manages our processes
- Own the engineering product roadmap, prioritising development efforts in line with company objectives
- Build a world class tech team: Hire, onboard and develop the best talent and cultivate an inspiring team culture with us
- Collaborate with sellers, logistics providers and internal teams to fix bugs and improve our products
- Part of the executive team, making sure the company’s technology is aligned with the business objectives
Must have requirements:
- 5 years+ experience of software and technology development, ideally 2 years+ in a startup
- Experience in developing technology for e-commerce, logistics, last mile or supply chain
- Experience in back-end integrations, APIs and microservices, cloud architecture fundamentals (AWS or Google Cloud), databases
- A charismatic technology leader: Experience in hiring, managing and leading engineering teams
- A strategic thinker and a doer: the ability to build bridges between strategy and execution and balance short term and long term objectives
- A product-focused engineer that is customer-centric
- Ability to communicate complex technology solutions to different stakeholders
- Passion for delivering results, but also learning from failure
- Analytical and data-driven: support decisions with hard facts, data and numbers
- Experience and ability to lead agile product engineering in a fast growing start up
- Knowledge of existing and emerging technologies: Evaluate multiple technologies and identify those that are the best fit for the business
- A positive outlook, boundless energy and thrive on collaboration in agile and startup environments
- Good vibes: Fostering team spirit; someone all developers look up to and aspire to work with
Preferred requirements (nice to have):
- Understanding of e-commerce platforms (Marketplaces, Shopify, WooCommerce, Amazon), logistics systems such as warehouse and inventory management systems
- Experience with managing distributed/remote software developers
- Experience with node.js or Golang (Go)
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field
We strive to create an exciting and amazing opportunities where our team members love to work and have fun with each other. We offer a competitive compensation package which includes an attractive base salary and stock options.
This is a super exciting role and a critical hire for our team, as you will join our startup as one of the very first employees.
Email: joinus [at] bezos [dot] ai