£70k - £80k • Company Website https://www.kalido.me
About the role
Kalido exists to help create a world where people and organizations can maximize potential through a global community of valued connections and opportunities. We passionately problem solve new ways to do this, no matter how difficult the challenge. Everyone on our team is a true product owner, responsible for ensuring excellence. We move fast (but thoughtfully), and are looking for a talented and impact-oriented Backend Developer to join us. In this role, you will be responsible for: shaping architectural decisions and technology choices; building the infrastructure at the very heart of Kalido; and ensuring that it is secure, performant, easily deployable, scalable, cost-effective, and fit for purpose. In doing so, you will shape the company, and our collective ability to impact the world. As part of a startup, your responsibilities will vary, but on a day to day basis, you will:
Build Kalido’s back end
- Collaborate with management, design, and platform-specific development teams to define, design, and build new functionality as required
- Design, build and refactor our architecture as we evolve, with maintainability and efficient abstraction in mind
- Verify, test and deploy new builds
- Inspire and lead other developers, ensuring their growth
- Mentor other developers to help them grow, and to ensure our design and development efforts and ethos remain aligned Maintain Kalido’s back end
- Troubleshoot, debug and enhance the existing codebase and DevOps deployments, driving towards a continuously more performant, higher quality, and responsive experience
- Monitor and analyse system performance, and own our uptime
- Refine and extend our administrative and performance monitoring tools
- Optimize our use of processing power, memory, storage, bandwidth, and third-party API calls in our backend infrastructure Plan for the future
- Propose, evaluate, select, and adopt new technologies when needed
- Ensure that you are on top of changes to critical parts of our infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GRPC, Postgres, Redis, Envoy, RabbitMQ, etc.) so that we can adopt newer versions without affecting performance or functionality
- Shape our API and third party integration strategy
- Proactively suggest changes to balance cost, scale, security, performance, deployability and utility
- Load test regularly, and plan for the next 1-2 orders of scale
What we are looking for
We value inclusion, impact, transparency, generosity, and teamwork. You can read more about our values and what they mean to us here: https://www.kalido.me/our-mission/. We are looking for someone who: shares our philosophy; is capable and excited about the role; strives for personal and professional excellence; and wants to make a meaningful difference through their work.
This opportunity is for you if you are:
- Experienced (have 5+ years experience of designing and building commercial back end systems), with a strong analytical mind, and an ethical approach
- Comfortable with the fundamentals of computer science and information architecture, including knowledge of data structures, algorithms, their complexity, their tradeoffs, and their implementation (e.g. trees, graphs, sorting algorithms, and their various Big O implications)
- Someone who has led or been part of small teams of developers through the entire software development lifecycle, in maintaining and continually improving a lean software development process, and in delivering high quality code reviews, with a toolbelt of best practices for professional software development
- Excited about thoughtfully building scalable platforms
- Experienced with cloud infrastructure providers (Google and AWS)
- Experienced with developing on and for the Linux operating system
- Knowledgeable about systems architecture choices and performance trade-offs, database design and extensibility
- Capable of writing complex and performant SQL queries for Oracle and Postgresql
What we offer
Working at Kalido means working with a solid startup that has been around since 2015. We balance our drive for delivery with flexible working arrangements, generous maternity and paternity leave, weekly team lunches, and the chance to truly shape the culture you work in. You will never run out of fascinating problems to solve and will have incredible opportunities to work with a diverse team that cares about your growth.
By helping everyone to easily create stronger communities and more meaningful real-world connections, Kalido’s goal is to level the playing field of opportunity. We are redefining the way people connect in their neighbourhoods, inside companies, at events, in schools, in alumni groups, in co-working spaces, and doing so throughout their lives. In August 2019 we closed a 5m USD Series A, and are backed by HCL, a global IT player with a 22 bn USD market cap, and co-founded by the #3 core team member and early investor at Alibaba. If you’re excited about empowering individuals, helping organisations to work better together, and creating a platform to power the future of work, this is the place to do it. To learn more, visit https://www.kalido.me.
How to apply
If being a Lead Software Developer at Kalido sounds like something that leverages your skills and ignites your passion, we want to get to know you. Drop us an email with your CV (including a link to your portfolio and relevant repositories) and a cover letter, addressed to Martyna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to be a great workplace and build a great product, we believe we must strive to truly represent and support this diverse world. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, parental status, marital status, disability, religion, or belief.