Steve Francia joined the show to talk about the results of the 2016 Go Developer Survey and other interesting Go projects and news.
Linode – Our cloud server of choice. Get one of the fastest, most efficient SSD cloud servers for only $5/mo. Use the code
changelog2017to get 4 months free!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform.
- Backtrace – Reduce your time to resolution. Go beyond stacktraces and logs. Get to the root cause quickly with deep application introspection at your fingertips.
- Ultimate Go – Ardan Labs offers some of the best training classes for Go, Web and Data Science. They offer two and three full day intensive courses that literally takes any developer, even at different experience levels, to a whole new level. Get in touch and tell them you heard about their classes on Go Time!
- Steve Francia – Twitter, GitHub
- Erik St. Martin – Twitter, GitHub
- Carlisia Pinto – Twitter, GitHub
- Johnny Boursiquot – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
The Go Developer Survey – https://blog.golang.org/survey2016-results
- Almost all users of (89%) are using it for work, great testament to the growth of the language.
- Heavy adoption from dynamic languages.
- Most wanted improvements, generics (surprise!), and package versioning/dependency management (in the works).
- Concern about finding developers, how do you feel about the pool of developers?
- Vim / VSCode seem to be the top pics for editor.
- When asked what libraries are still missing, the most common request by far was a library for writing GUIs. Another popular topic was requests around data processing, analytics, and numerical and scientific computing.
- 55% of respondents expressed interest in contributing in some way to the Go community and projects. Unfortunately, relatively few agreed that they felt welcome to do so (3.3:1) and even fewer felt that the process was clear (1.3:1)
- Cobra / Viper / Hugo
Interesting Go Projects and News
Free Software Friday!
Each week on the show we give a shout out to an open source project or community that’s made an impact in our day to day developer lives.