Ben Johnson, creator of BoltDB, joined the show to talk about NoSQL vs. Sql databases, tradeoffs between the two, and choosing one over the other. We also talk about Ben’s Secret Lives of Data project, visualizing data structures, and go over his motivation and plans for his blog post series “Go Walkthrough” of the Go standard library.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
Linode – Our cloud server of choice. Get one of the fastest, most efficient SSD cloud servers for only $5/mo. Use the code
changelog2017to get 4 months free!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform.
- Ben Johnson – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Erik St. Martin – Twitter, GitHub
- Carlisia Pinto – Twitter, GitHub
- Brian Ketelsen – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Bolt DB
- The Secret Lives of Data
- Ben’s Go Walkthrough blog series on Medium
- Go Walkthrough: encoding package
- Go Walkthrough: bytes + strings packages
- Go Walkthrough: io package
- Standard Package Layout
- Building WTF Dial
- Clean Code (book)
- The Pragmatic Programmer (bool)
- Column-oriented DBMS
- Bleve: full-text search and indexing for Go
- #boltdb channel on Gophers Slack
Interesting Go Projects and News
- Noms: decentralized database based on ideas from Git
- upper.io/db.v2: Magic-free ORM-like package for Go